4 olives wine bar - website

Welcome to the blog for 4 Olives Wine Bar. We will be featuring specials, menu additions, as well as special events and updates.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Napa Valley 2007 - Day 1 Recap

From Brandon:

I'm going to try and keep my posts short and sweet... especially with as much detail as Scott goes into! So with that said... the trip has been phenomenal thus far, and I can't tell you how grateful I am to be here... Each winery is completely unique with a culture and style all its own. I'm just thrilled to get on with today and see where things go! Enjoy the photos, there is a link posted below to the full photo gallery, and I will be updating it daily. Also, feel free to watch the short video posted below... just some quick shots to show each winery, and help us to remember every detail of our trip!



Click here to visit our photo gallery.

From Scott:

It was difficult to wake up at 4am, but a visit to Napa seemed to be enough of a natural rush to get us to the airport. We flew on Midwest, and I must say that with the reasonable rates, I was not expecting the very comfortable flight that we had.

San Francisco Airport was not nearly as enjoyable. The map to the car rental terminal was like looking at a terrible Salvador Dali painting in faded pastel colors. Negotiating the stairs, escalators, elevators, trams, and elevated rail system was as much fun as being in a live action Donkey Kong game. At Dollar Rental, we spent yet another wasted hour bargaining like a tourist at Moroccan bizarre, to get a car even remotely close to what we had confirmed three times already.

Finally on our way to Napa, the trip is much faster than in the past, the roads to Napa Valley via Oakland are vastly improved.

The first winery we visited was Grgich Hills. Mike Grgich became famous in 1976 when his Chardonnay beat out the French wines in a blind tasting; this became one of the pivotal moments in California wine history. Grgich Hills is not a place, but in fact is a partnership with the Hills family (famous for their coffee). Like almost every winery, tours are not often offered on Sundays (they need a day off as well). We were offered a tasting of Grgich Hills’ current release wines. I found that the 2004 Chardonnay was my favorite wine. Just being released, the 2005 Chardonnay was also good, but not as ripe and well balanced as the 2004 (we only have a few bottles left on the list now, and I really wish I had found out just how great this wine was in this vintage a little earlier). The 2005 Fume Blanc continues to be a spectacular wine, and one of the best selling on our list. I found that the reds were all really super-ripe and jammy (and all good), but lacked in the balancing of the corresponding components (and sometimes were a little tannic). One red was outstanding, the 2002 Reserve, it had it all. Sorry, but it is only offered at the winery. By the way, most guys purr like a kitten over the smell of a new car, for me it is the aroma of oak barrels and wine in a cold cellar.

It had been a number of years since I last visited Duckhorn, our next stop. The grounds are beautiful, and worth the visit by themselves. I love Duckhorn wines, and I was hoping that this would lead to a love affair with the wines for Brandon and Travis as well. The wines certainly came through; the only argument was over what was the best wine. In 1978, Duckhorn became the first winery ever to bottle as a “Merlot.” (Sterling also bottled a Merlot this year). That commitment to the grape has never waned, and Duckhorn still proved to be the go to winery for Merlot. The Napa was excellent, the Howell Mountain was excellent, but the Estate 2004 was my favorite (and one of the best wines I have had in years). I kept coming back to the Sauvignon Blanc, the 2006 is yet another excellent vintage. It has always been on our list, but I would expect to see it by the glass very soon. A beautiful tasting room in a relaxed environment.

We had a little extra time, and decided to end the evening with a little bubbly at Chandon (not on our schedule, but on the way to the hotel). We stopped in just a little too late to catch the last tour, but the very nice hostess told us that we could still enjoy a flight of wines in the tasting room. Unfortunately, Chandon has decided to turn the tasting room into a wine disco club on Sunday evenings. Shouting over a bar crowded with young San Franciscans up in Napa to get their drink on, we were able to finally get a hold of one tasting of two wines for all of us to split (in filthy glasses). The Etoile was outstanding, and the Chardonnay was also a very solid wine (built like a brick turkey, it managed to be a total butterball and still be good). I liken the atmosphere to a packed Aggieville bar, where the bartender somehow manages to get everyone’s order but yours. After waiting almost an hour to try the Pinot Noir, I just gave up and left. We saw very nice couples going into the tasting room for a relaxing sip of some fine bubbly, and turning right around the same way we did. To our “Bartender” Nancy, way to go. Lucky for Chandon that they make such fantastic wines (the Blanc de Noirs is hands down my pick for the best value in a sparkling wine). We just didn’t feel the love.

By this time of the day we had been traveling for 18 hours, and due to the delays, we still had not had time to eat anything (it was actually getting rough to drink any more wine). We were excited about dinner at Celadon (in the town of Napa on the riverfront). I had been here before with my very great friend and former boss Keith Paden, and we had enjoyed it. Celadon is now in a beautiful new location and is much larger than the four tables it used to be. After our waiter checked our IDs (I guess I’m never going to get past my baby face), we order a beautiful bottle of Saxon Brown Pinot Noir (by the way Keith, you need to get this wine back in Kansas) spicy and elegant.

The appetizers were outstanding. Our waiter informed us that the menu had been changed only a few days ago. I had seared pork belly with fresh watermelon in a citrus-soy glaze. I would have left out the spicy pickled carrots, but I still thought it was to die for. Unfortunately our waiter was seriously off his game, and this detracted from the overall experience. Of the entrees, only my seared scallops with fennel cream sauce was a knock out. Brandon’s duck was WAY overdone, as was his corn and bacon risotto, the flavors were spot on, but only the bacon had any crunch left, and it kind of had a baby food feel to it. I think that when they work out the kinks it will be an excellent dish. Travis’ Moroccan spiced lamb, and my bread pudding were both good, but had so much clove that I felt like wearing a pineapple ring back to the hotel. I have had life changing meals here before, and I would still highly recommend the restaurant.

We are all so tired that Travis has talked me into trying to fit tastings at three more wineries before our 11:30 appointment at Franciscan. I guess it’s the Napa rush again!

Stay tuned for more Recap of Day 1 from Travis...